Split the allowance into 5 equal sums, one fifth for fruit and vegetables, one fifth for eggs, fish and meat; one fifth for bread and cereals; one fifth for milk and cheese; one fifth for bacon, fats, jams and other groceries.
How to shop cheaply
- Shop early when possible.
- If you are able to shop before closing time, you can often obtain great bargains in perishable goods.
- Don't make up your mind about what you want to have until you have looked around the shops. Sometimes there are cheap offers. Take advantage of them.
- When there are food sales, buy foods that store well.
- Pay cash and carry home your purchases.
- Examine what you purchase before paying for it.