Saturday, October 07, 2006

SHARING BOOKS ON SIMPLE LIVING

This is a neat idea submitted by AK

Hello,

I'm an Aussie in Japan and have been reading your lovely blog for a few months. I don't remember exactly how I found it, perhaps from the Path to Freedom site ...

Anyway, some of my friends and I here have another way to enjoy books (English selection in libraries is limited!). We began a book circle where each member sends the next on the list a book on the first of the month. It does cost postage, but if you meet the next friend, you can simply hand it over. But it is wonderful getting a 'new' book in the post each month - like lots of birthdays! The next month, you pass that book on to the next person. If there are 6 members, your own book will come back to you 6 months later. We also write a comment sheet that is inserted into each book, so at the end you can read everyone's reviews.

I feel happier knowing that some of my treasured books bring enjoyment to others, and that the 2,000 or so yen I spent on them is shared. Postage for the average book costs around 300yen, so that is a considerable saving, even without thinking of environmental and simplicity issues.

Happy reading!
AK




If any of you are interested in getting a simplicity book circle going that way in the UK, email me and we can see how we set that up.

No comments: