Saturday, March 31, 2007

Down the garden......

The sallow tree in our garden has a buzzing sound surrounding it. This is a native tree of the British Isles and the first one to provide pollen and food for the bees and insects. It is quite a fantastic experience to see bees and other insects humming around. To us it means that spring really cannot be far away although the cold nights and frosts could tell us otherwise.
This is the first earlies planted at the end of February, they will provide us with potatoes at the end of April, May time. Just need to water them regularly, hoe and keep the chickens off.....

Even when the weather is dull, the broad bean plants provide some colour in the poly tunnel. We are not great fans of broad beans but they add nitrogen to the soil and I like them stir fried with bacon, feta cheese, small tomatoes on a bed of rocket. That's something to look forward to in a few months.

When the grass starts to grow, I know the weeds will not be far behind. Gardening to me is a bit like my housekeeping. I divide the garden in 6 areas and rotate where I go, hoe and weed. The chickens or compost bin get the goodies. How do you dust your garden?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here in the Midwest we cant plant anything much until the end of April maybe some lettuce- our last frost date is in May. I have raised beds - a quick hoe and they are ready to go - no digging or weeding.
Lizzie

Sian said...

I got a great tip from one of Nigel Slater's columns that if you harvest the broad beans while quite young and blanch them, the skins pop off really easily and they are then as versatile good to eat as peas.
I used to hate BBs but they are one of my fave veg now