Friday, January 05, 2007

Still here

Happy New Year to all of you. I have been absent in the last week because we have had family visiting and there has been little time to sit and put my feet up. After 5 mins there was always something to attend to.
The beginning of a new year starts in our household with a revisiting of the last year, what went well and what could go better. This year when I arrived in the kitchen with my folder, paper, pen and a serious look my Dh asked whether whisky would be called for. We settled down to compare our vision and what we could do together to work towards our vision.
It takes courage to sit and talk about what matters, what is wrong and to talk about options and there were tears, there were heated discussions and we ended up making no decisions on the major items but creating a workeable plan and time to go and do some research. We include our 12 year old son in the major discussions as I value his problem solving skills as well as I respect that at his age he has an opinion and should feel free to voice it. This is sometimes not comfortable but he is part of our team and has come up with other solutions we had not thought of. I urge you therefore to make use of young adults as they have a better grip on technology and options in that field. The end decision is a consensus but the discussions should enable each member of the family to express an opinion.

The posts over the next few days will take each area of discussion in turn and will give you a better feel of what we are trying to work with this year. I hope they will inspire you to take the bull by the horns and plan your own vision.

No comments: