Friday, August 18, 2006

HARVESTING TOMATOES

A recent visitor asked what it was that I had fed my tomatoes on as the vines are positively dripping with fruits. I did not actually feed them but made sure that the soil was healthy. I do a rotation of potatoes, beans, salad, tomatoes,courgette and cucumber then salads again. Each time I plant the potatoes and tomatoes I add some compost to the soil. Regular watering also enables the plants to grow well as well as taking out the sideshoots and stopping the plants when 4 trusses have formed.
This basket is the first harvest from about 8 plants and was 15lbs in weight. Some of them have been frozen and 6lbs became spicy tomatoe chutney. Last year the 6 jars made, just dissappeared too fast in winter. We also had roast tomatoe soup for lunch with some homemade ciabatta.
Today, my bartering partner arrived with 21 lbs of plums in exchange for the tomatoe plants and other nursery plants I had given them at the beginning of the season, so I guess I shall be busy canning those today. Yeah. Practice makes perfect.

Now, I cannot say that this type of lifestyle is easier than going to the supermarket but it is more satisfying and interesting thats for sure.

Its simple to make things difficult, but it is difficult to make things simple.

No comments: