Sunday, November 02, 2008

The scents of winter

Mandarin Oranges, Dates, Pomegranate and Cinnamon Sticks by Ulrika Pousette
Mandarin Oranges, Dates, Pomegranate and Cinnamon Sticks


As my daughter tells me that all little insects crawl away at the beginning of November and the onset of winter is nigh, I feel the need to create some winter concoctions to keep the air moist with orange and spice and all things nice.

The woodburner is great at producing heat but simultaneously has a habit of drying out the air around us. A simple thing to do is to have a pot with some water on the woodburner where water evaporates and makes the air moist again.

Much more fun is adding some things to the water- it could be a soup bubbling away but today I feel the need to add some ginger, orange, cloves and cinnamon to the water. Tomorrow it might be pine and eucalyptus.

It sure makes cabin fever more pleasurable. As an aside we did spend some money on base layers to wear under woolly jumpers and I am certainly feeling the benefit of that.

More spicy tea now and then a brisk walk with the dog. There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing - a saying I remember from Denmark. It may just be correct....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

>>There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing - a saying I remember from Denmark. >>

Hello, I'm a reader from Finland and the above is quite correct! Greetings from a sunny Helsinki, +8 C.