Sunday, April 07, 2019

Through the misty glaze



Lost


After visiting my Aunt and taking part in my Uncles funeral , my daughter and I got back to our hotel. We stayed in an old convent that offered basic accommodation but after all we just wanted a bed.

In the morning, the day of our return, I seemed to have difficulty eating, walking and even remembering my card code to pay. We decided however to take the journey back slowly, one stage at a time, taking our time. I felt myself slipping away and entering a sort of mythical kingdom, my thoughts interrupted by my daughter asking me to count backwards from 100. On the train I munched on a sandwich but it appeared it took me a whole hour to deal with this sandwich. When she had to leave the train at her station she made me promise to look for my husband who would be there. She tucked me in and pinned a note to my coat. I however was in my mythical calm kingdom, lost to myself. My husband did indeed find me at the station and took me straight to hospital where I did not have to wait but got whizzed into emergency. My parallel magical kingdom kept me in a safe bubble. A nurse explained to me to imagine a crash on the motorway. I was observing she said, from my mythical kingdom, there was a lot of debris, it would take time to clear however to be assured that the road was still there.

Then I slept for 36 hours and when I awoke,  calmly I realised that I was quite safe in my mythical kingdom but that I had had a stroke and would gently have to find my way back. But the road was still there. The note pinned to my coat had read : please look after my mom.

No comments: